Overview of the Opportunity
This post follows an announcement made in yesterday’s worship service that was accompanied by a handout which can be found here.
Since Involve started, several people have asked the question: “Is Involve looking to buy a building?” Our answer has been simple. We see a building as a tool for discipleship and if owning a building helps us disciple people better, than yes! We would consider buying a building. We want to be defined by our mission and not our building. Our mission is to Involve people in an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. Whether we are in a mobile church setting or a permanent facility, we want to maintain our focus and stay the course. It’s about discipleship at Involve and you all have helped make that possible.
Recently, a building near the Underground (tap here for location of property) has become available that has the potential to really help us with our plans for church planting and leadership development. The Underground has served us well for the last 18 months, but as we have grown in number and capacity to do ministry, the space has been limited. The property we are considering adds a considerable amount of space for meetings and training, while also providing the possibility for an on-site residence, which will be very valuable for a church planting residency and training program that we hope to implement in the near future.
“We want to be defined by our mission and not a building. Our mission is to Involve people in an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ.”
WILL THIS BE OUR NEW SUNDAY WORSHIP SPACE?
One thing we want to make clear: this property will not be our meeting place for Sunday morning gatherings. That may sound strange, so please read through this brochure to understand why that is. As always, feel free to ask anyone on the leadership team any question you may have regarding this purchase. Most importantly, please pray for our church as we move forward with this decision.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO PURCHASING THIS BUILDING?
- More space for office, training, midweek gatherings, and storage.
- A full kitchen for community meals.
- On-site living quarters for future residency program.
- Space for student ministries.
- Potential space for community center.
- Price – The price with upgrades will be approximately $35/square foot. In comparison, homes in the area are selling for approximately $100/square foot.
WHY PURCHASE A BUILDING TOO SMALL FOR SUNDAY GATHERINGS?
- Cost. The cost of this building is manageable. A larger building would overwhelm our budget and hurt current ministries, financially.
- Our focus as a church is on people being discipled. A large percentage of our ministry can be accomplished in a smaller building.
- Our current setup and location for Sunday gatherings is working well with very little overhead. This keeps funds available for our main ministries and mission.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- This building is a “fixer-upper.” It’s going to take some sweat and skill to make it shine. Anything you can do from construction to painting to cleaning will be helpful.
- Help us move from the Underground to the new facility.
- Make a donation. If God puts it on your heart to give towards this purchase, please do so. Any help we receive up front lowers our monthly payment. You can contact one of our pastors for info on how to give towards the facility fund.
WHAT IS NEXT?
- Inspections with the city to confirmoccupancy and future building permits.
- Inspections from our local contractors to give a more accurate picture of the building’s condition
- Work on estimates for utilities and maintenance costs
- A walk-through for our church on Sunday, January 21st.
- A church vote on Sunday, January 28th at 9:30am.
- Move in and start fixing it up the end of February, if everything passes.
HOW IS THIS FINANCED?
- The association of churches we are a part of has a revolving fund. People invest money into the fund and the board of directors loan it to churches.
- We plan to finance around $200,000 for purchasing and improvements. This works out to approximately $1,150/month.
- We currently pay $800/month for the Underground. For the new facility, we’ll need to add $350/month plus utility and maintenance costs.